.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Vera: The Art and Life of an Icon

Today I found myself shopping at Anthropologie in the Lennox Square Mall which is located in Buckhead, a quaint neighborhood in north Atlanta. Upon entering the store, my mom and I noticed an overwhelming number of sales associates dressed to impress, as well as an entire table full of baked goods, fruit and drinks, which in retail could only mean one thing-a special event! After browsing for a few minutes we learned that the author of the book, Vera: The Art and Life of an Icon would be doing a book signing in the store today. Until today, the only two Vera's in fashion that I knew of were Vera Wang and Vera Bradley. It only took a minute for my stylish mom to inform me that in fact, the original "Vera" was an artist who made beautiful scarves and other textiles, and was actually very well known in the fashion industry. After flipping through the book which chronicles the life and career of Vera Neumann, an accomplished designer, artist, and entrepreneur, I was inspired to do further research to find out more about this American icon. What I came to discover is that she believed fine art should not just be for the wealthy, but should be available to all and incorporated into everyone's daily lives. She understood the positive impact that bright colors and patterns could have on a person's day, and was in fact the first person to put a print on a bed sheet! Anthropologie has designed a line of items from furniture, to linens, to clothing called "We Heart Vera" which are inspired by the designs of Vera's classic scarves. Below I have included some pictures of her work, which is quite amazing. So a special shout out to the late Vera Neumann, for putting prints on bed sheets and table linens, and making beautiful pieces of wearable art. What an inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment